Best Savings Account -President’s Choice Financial or Tangerine?
Thank you for visiting this page! Make sure to scroll down all the way to the bottom to find out how you can earn free money just with a few keystrokes!
When it comes to savings accounts, in my view there are only two valid options today. It’s either President’s Choice Financial or Tangerine (or Bank Formerly Known As ING DIRECT). I would never consider opening a savings account at any other bank simply because none of other banks offer completely free savings account with all features included without fees of any kind. These two are your best options because:
- Both savings accounts are completely free (no min. balances, no monthly fees)
- They both offer competitive rates on your savings
- Both come with an array of features one would find useful
- You can open yours in a matter of minutes. Like, right now.
None of the other banks made the cut simply because none of the other banks managed to offer the same value. Some banks offer free savings accounts only if you already have a checking account with this bank. Others offer bare-bone accounts with limited accessibility and no features. Some banks demand a min. balance in your account for it to be free. So, for the purpose of finding out which bank offers best savings account I won’t even consider them.
So, who offers the best savings account? Let the battle begin!
Round 1: Rates Offered
Currently, both Tangerine and President’s Choice Financial offer similar rates. Today, you can get 1.30% on your savings with 2.50% promo on new deposits at both financial institutions. Historically though, Tangerine (formerly known as ING Direct) always offered slightly better rates. It was 5.00% just few years ago, but now we live in low interest rates era, so it came down significantly.
This is a solid tie, at least at the moment.
Round 2: Services Included
- In my opinion, Tangerine actually promotes saving money as opposed to just offering it as a service like PC Financial does. Even their old TV ads were all about “SAVE YOUR MONEY!” Are you thinking of saving towards a specific goal such as vehicle, house down payment, or a flight into space to experience zero gravity? Well, Tangerine offers a calculator that will break down how much you have to save every month to reach your goal, and will set up an automatic saving program that will transfer this amount from your account. With President’s Choice you are on your own, though regular transfer option is available.
- In both cases, you can access your monthly statements online. However, with President’s Choice account, I can only go back 13 months. With Tangerine, I can go back as far as 7 years. While it’s not super important, it might come in handy if you’re looking for a specific transaction that happened years and years ago - say, if you’re getting audited by CRA/IRS.
- Tax forms are readily available on Tangerine’s web site. President’s Choice Financial either doesn’t let you see them or hides them very well in one of their confusing menus. I just tried to find them and failed miserably.
Round 3: Online Access
Tangerine wins hands down in this category.
- Tangerine web site is much easier to use. They’ve put a lot of work into their design, and it shows. I’ve never felt lost when doing my online banking with Tangerine.
- With Tangerine, you can deposit cheques into your account without leaving your home. All you have to do is to install their app on your smart phone, take a picture of your cheque, and money gets transferred into your account. How easy is this? President’s Choice Financial doesn’t have the same feature, but I anticipate its arrival any day though - simply because their parent company (CIBC) is already using this technology. But for now, if you want to make a deposit into your PC account, you have to go to an ATM.
- Speaking of smartphone apps. Online banking app offered by Tangerine has more features than President’s Choice Financial. For somebody who basically lives online (just like anyone under the age of 40), it’s important to me.
- In both cases, you can easily open accounts online. It’s extremely important to me because I like to save money towards purchases as opposed to borrowing money. However, with Tangerine you can also close accounts just as easily. Say you’ve finally saved money for that special vacation, paid for it, and now you can close that account with a click of a button. President’s Choice Financial doesn’t let you do that.
Round 4: ATM Network
For some people access to an ABM is important. Personally, I do all of my banking online including deposits, and I have no use for automatic bank machines. But some people still do (just like some people still use rotary phones!), so I’ve decided to compare number of ABM machines available locally for each bank. Now, in your city it might be different, so do your homework.
In my city of Kelowna, both banks had fairly similar ABM presence:
Depending where you live, winner in this category might be different. In my case, it’s fairly close with Tangerine being slightly ahead.
Round 5: Customer Service
This is more of a personal opinion on this matter, but I always enjoy calling Tangerine. Their agents always sound cheerful and happy to help you, and will go out of their way to make a difference. Even when I ask inane questions (” - How do I deposit a US cheque into my account?”), it gets answered right away and necessary changes are made on the fly.
President’s Choice Financial agents on the other hand are … meh. Take for example my latest experience with them when I called and asked for an NSF fee to be waived. Sure, they did what I asked them to do, but the overall feeling was that I just called a sweat shop. Their employees usually sound like they hate their job and would rather stick needles in their eyes than be talking to me.
I’ve even approached Tangerine on Twitter to ask them a question, and received a response within minutes. President’s Choice? Still waiting.
Conclusion: Tangerine Wins The Showdown!
New kid on the block (and by “new kid” I mean “an established and trusted company that just been acquired by Scotiabank and re-branded as Tangerine”) wins the battle. Yes, President’s Choice offers a good product and doesn’t charge for it, but Tangerine offers many extras that come in handy. On top of it, Tangerine’s customer service is top notch. For all of these reasons, I can confidently say that Tangerine offers the best savings account for their clients.
BONUS: Would you like some free money?
Right now, you can earn up to $150 in free money and take advantage of 2.50% interest rate if you sign up for Tangerine account online. Yes, absolutely free money. All you have to do is sign up online, provide my Orange Key when you open your account, and Boom! - FREE MONEY! Hopefully the information I’ve provided you with today is worth the hassle of entering my referral key when completing your quick and easy online application.
To get free money, complete these three easy steps:
1. Go to Tangerine Bank
2. Locate “Tangerine Savings Account” in the list and click “Enroll Now”
3. When filling out all the personal information, enter my Orange Key 31294793S1
Both you and I will enjoy some free money. No work involved besides signing up for an account. Life is beautiful, eh?